“My brother, who is from Amherst, got arrested in Buffalo. The Judge, in Erie County, ordered a warrant because he didn’t show up to court and the bail was set at $4,000. If my brother turns himself in, what happens next? He doesn’t have $4,000, so will they just give him another court date?”


In New York State, if a person cannot make bail, then he or she will be jailed. You may also decide to pay a bondsmen 10%. In this scenario, after you pay the bondsman $400, she would post the $4,000 bail. However, you would not get your money back once the proceedings conclude.


If you cannot afford to post bail or pay a bondsmen, a Criminal Defense Attorney in Buffalo Ny could file a bail motion and argue for a reduction or elimination of bail. Whether the court grants the motion depends on the charges and the likelihood that a party will show up to the next court appearance.

images (1)

For more questions, contact a Buffalo Defense Attorney today.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s