“I got convicted of a felony 11 years ago in New York State. Is there any way I can get it sealed?”

Andrew Tabashneck Attorney in Buffalo New York

Andrew Tabashneck attorney in Buffalo New York who specializes in Criminal Defense

Under New York State law, ten years after your felony conviction, in addition to the time in jail or prison if any,  one may submit a motion to seal the conviction. As an aside, in New York State, a felony conviction cannot be expunged.

If one is convicted of a felony and less than ten years have transpired from either the date of the conviction or if the sentence included incarceration, the date the person was released from jail or prison, then an Article 440 Petition could be made if there is a viable argument based on procedural grounds. In some cases, there are procedural irregularities in the plea-bargaining process, which could result in the plea being overruled. It is a long-shot but certainly the possibility must be explored.

For more questions, contact Andrew Tabashneck attorney for a free consultation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s