“it’s been over a year and my wife, who lives in Buffalo NY, refuses to sign the divorces papers. What should I do next? Do I need to hire a divorce lawyer?”


Under New York Divorce Law, both parties do not need to sign anything to obtain a divorce. One option is to file and receive a default judgment. In a divorce, under New York Divorce law, the party seeking a divorce must personally serve the opposing spouse with at least the Summons. Once your spouse is served, there is a certain time frame when your spouse must respond. If your spouse does not respond within the time frame, your divorce lawyer buffalo ny can move forward to take the divorce on default. However, the process for default judgments in New York is slightly different than other civil cases.

The best option is to retain a divorce lawyer buffalo ny who can navigate the process which often becomes complicated.

For a free consultation, contact a divorce lawyer buffalo ny today.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s